Saturday, October 16, 2010

Yentl meets Starlight Express

For those of you who got those references, GREAT.. if not...well...um....sorry haha

But here is an update on my life.  It has been filled with more homework than I would care to have (which is zero), but has also been filled with some pretty cool things...lemme fill you in....

Monday, we went and got to hike through Hezekiah's Tunnel... which was sooo cool! I haven't really had the chance to be in caves very much in my life... which I was ok with.. until Hezekiah's tunnel.. cuz it was AWESOME!  This is the tunnel that is built from Jerusalem's water source, the Gihon spring, to the inside of Jerusalem's walls.  Before we hiked through it we got to see a really cool 3D movie about the history of Jerusalem, from its early days, until the modern city.  It was very cool, and really helped to solidify my understanding of the history here, and grasp how it actually would have looked to generations in the past.

We walked through teh tunnel, with water up to about our waist, and it was so cool.  I sang 'Light At the End of the Tunnel', from one of my favorite shows ever, Starlight Express, introduced to me by Uncle Mike.  I didn't think anybody would know about it, but then like 6 other people knew the show too and had seen it as well... so it was way cool!!! LOVED IT!!!


The famous musical about Trains... falling in love....

And everybody is on roller skates... so it's basically the best thing ever!!!!

It was so fun to share those moments, underneath Jerusalem... one of the best experiences of my life.

Then we had a lot of school, and on Wednesday we had a Passover Meal here at the Jerusalem Center with our Judaism teacher, and it was really cool.  It was super long. I actually remember doing it a few times in my life, but I never remember it being this long.  It was really cool, and we got to sing a lot of jewish songs, and it was great.  We also had traditional food which looked a lot like this

Each of these have really important meanings, which all happen to escape me at this very moment, oh well... haha I have it written down somewhere... i'm a horrible student

But each time we sang a song, and we sang tons, I was so confused because of the Hebrew and not being familiar with the songs, so I just decided to sing... yup you guessed it....

which is basically the same as a passover song right? haha

So while I sang 'Papa, Can You Hear Me' in the corner in my own little chair people sang great Hebrew Jewish songs, and it was really fun.  Also.... Our table, had an uneven leg, so it would shake and make the wax from our candle drip, everytime we had a 'sederquake'.  It was really cool, and a great thing.  Anyway, today I taught my first singing time in Primary and it went pretty ok... not great, but I know where and how to improve, so that's good.  Tomorrow we are going to Eliat right at the Red Sea, and going snorkeling!!! I am so excited!! I've never been before in my entire life, and I can't wait!! We drove past the red sea, and it looked so beautiful, I can't wait to go in it!!!!  Hope life is great, sorry I'm not too funny this time... next time I will do better.....

PEACE AND BLESSINGS!!

2 Comments:

At October 16, 2010 at 2:32 PM , Blogger Janelle said...

James. You don't have to be funny to have a quality post. People will love you no matter what you type. I know I do.

ps. pretty sure I was sitting by you during the whole seder and i never once heard you sing "papa, can you hear me". I do not believe this story.

 
At October 17, 2010 at 1:00 PM , Blogger A Mitton said...

The Red Sea was freaking cold when we were there. But the fish were awesome (I was stung by a jelly fish too, which I love telling people). And I think I ate at least three magnum bars. Magnum bars! I miss them.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home